Episode 1 Video and Show Notes
Live show air date: March 26, 2020
Join me for Elevenses with Lisa, the online video series where we take a break, visit and learn about genealogy and family history.
I first heard the term “elevenses” while watching the British TV series Good Neighbors (Get it here) (known in the UK as The Good Life). While the traditional time for a morning break of tea is 11:00 AM, Tom and Barbara Good would have theirs at 9:00 AM because they got up at dawn to work on their self-sufficiency lifestyle.
Mama’s Bank Account by Kathryn Forbes (Get it here)
I Remember Mama starring Irene Dunne (Get it here)
MyHeritage Photo Colorization
MyHeritage Complete and PremiumPlus subscribers can colorize an unlimited number of photos.
Not a member? Start a trial here and you can colorize 10 photos.
Ancestry.com Records Highlight
- World War I Draft Cards
- World War II Draft Cards
- NY Passenger and Crew Lists 1820-1957
- California Federal Naturalization Records 1843-1999
- S. Passport Applications 1795-1925
- Compiled Revolutionary War Military Service Records 1775-1783
- Confederal Soldier Compiled Service Records
- Border Crossings
Genealogy Research Tech Tip
Look to the next page. Many passport applications are double-sided and may include a photo!
Googling and YouTube
- Read the article: How to Find Family History on YouTube in 5 Steps
- Premium Membership Video: The Genealogist’s Google Search Methodology (log in required)
- Create a bread crumb trail of your searches by opening each in a new tab.
- Right-click (Windows) on video links to see the video in a new tab.
Also mentioned: Google’s MyActivity will show you your search history when you’re logged into your Google account. There you can also control your Google privacy settings.
Google Chrome Extension: Snooze Tabby
(Get it here for free.) Use Snooze Tabby allows you to hide tabs and have them return on the date and time you want them. (The half moon icon referred to is now an owl icon.)
- Read the article: How to Customize the Chrome Browser for Genealogy
- The Genealogist’s Google Toolbox by Lisa Louise Cooke (Get it here at the Genealogy Gems Store.)
Reopening Closed Tabs
Right-click and click Reopen Tab. You can also use these quick keys:
Control + Shift + T (Windows)
Command + Shift + T (mac)
You can reopen multiple tabs. Each time you use the above quick keys it opens the previous tab going back in time.
Everyone likes a good cup of tea (or coffee, or…), a snappy tech tip, and learning ways to be more productive and inspired, right? I hope you’ll consider even sharing “Elevenses with Lisa” with your friends who say they’re not interested in genealogy. You never know, they might just get interested in family history.
Questions or Comments about Elevenses with Lisa?
Being cooped up at home doesn’t mean we can’t stretch our wings. Thank you for helping me stretch mine! If you have any questions about how to tune in, or you have a question you’d like me to answer on the show, please leave a comment below.