What’s the Genealogy Gems Podcast about?
My goal is to provide folks who are researching their family history with nuggets of inspiration and innovation to help them get the most of out their research time. Episodes are published on a monthly basis, and are approximately 30-45 minutes long. “How-to” information, photos, and resources are available on the show notes page for the episode.
What is a podcast?
Podcasting, a word combining a reference to Apple’s “iPod” and “broadcasting,” is a method of publishing audio files to the Internet so that the public can listen to them. Think of them as recorded online radio shows.
The beauty of a podcast show is that, unlike a radio show, you can listen whenever and wherever you want to. And if you miss something good, you can rewind and go over it again. It puts you in control of your listening while getting current and useful information on exactly what you want to hear about – which is of course GENEALOGY!
Why do I “subscribe” to the podcast?
So you can receive each new episode of the podcast automatically. To subscribe just means that you are setting up your computer to receive the podcasts as they are published.
How can I listen to the podcast?
Start by listening right on our website. Simply go to www.GenealogyGems.com and in the center column scroll down until you see the podcast logo and click the play button. (Image right)
Here’s another fun explanation of how to listen to a podcast:
What’s the easiest way to listen to the podcast on my iPod, iPhone or iPad?
Get the Genealogy Gems Podcast App from the iTunes store! It includes extra bonus content you won’t find anywhere else, and allows you to listen on your mobile device while doing other things.
Click this button to get the iPhone app .
Click this button for the iPad app:
Is there an app for Android?
Yes – get it below from Amazon (and clicking the ad also helps support the free podcast!)
You can also listen on:
iHeartRadio (click button below)
Amazon Echo (Alexa) We are part of TuneIn.
How do I subscribe to the podcast?
I recommend subscribing through iTunes, which is by far the most popular “podcatching” program. (see instructions below)
You mentioned iTunes. Do I have to have an iPod to listen?
Absolutely not. You can listen from your computer. It’s all you need.
You can listen from the Genealogy Gems player on the episode webpage, or download our free Genealogy Gems Toolbar from the home page and you can listen from your browser as you surf the web.
How do I get the iTunes program on my computer?
To install iTunes on your computer …
- Go to http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/
- Enter your email address in the box on the left & click the “Download iTunes” button
- Follow the prompts
How do I subscribe to the podcast in iTunes?
- In iTunes, go to the Store
- Search for “Genealogy Gems”
- Click the Genealogy Gems Podcast link or image
- Click the SUBSCRIBE button. (A small window will pop up asking you if you are sure. Just click SUBSCRIBE again.)
- iTunes will download the most recent episode to your iTunes LIBRARY in the Podcasts folder, and all future episodes.
How do I listen to the podcast in iTunes?
- Open iTunes
- Find LIBRARY
- Click on PODCASTS
- The iTunes screen will show you the podcasts you have downloaded.
- You will see a little triangle pointing at the name “Genealogy Gems” . Click the triangle to open up your Genealogy Gems subscription.
- The episodes are listed from oldest (Episode #1) to most current. Scroll down and you will see that the most current episode is in black type, while all the other episodes are gray. That is because the current episode has been downloaded and is ready for listening.
- To listen to the episode, double click on the episode name.
- The Play, Pause, Stop, Fast-forward and Rewind controls are in the upper left corner of iTunes.
How do I listen to the past episodes of the podcast?
In your iTunes LIBRARY, on the line where the Genealogy Gems Podcast is listed click the GET ALL button. This will download all the past episodes to iTunes on your computer, to be listened to at your convenience.
Downloading will take several minutes. You will see a little spinning orange circle to the left of the podcast name as it downloads. Once the episode is downloaded the text will turn from gray to black. Double click the episode and it will start to play after a moment or two.
What are Show Notes?
Each episode has corresponding Show Notes that give you website links and other important information discussed in the episode.
How do I find the Show Notes for the episode I listened to?
The show notes page is the web page that contains all of the information discussed in a particular episode. Here’s how to find them for the free Genealogy Gems Podcast:
From our website, www.genealogygems.com: Hover your mouse over PODCAST in the menu and click Genealogy Gems Podcast. On the next page (Podcast episodes and show notes) click the episode to be taken to the show notes page.
From iTunes: in MyPodcasts, under the title of the episode in the main window, click the down arrow next to the word “More” to review the show notes in their entirety.
From the Genealogy Gems app: Tap the desired episode from the list and the “Audio Post” screen will include all of the show notes.