FamilySearch is down today while doing some maintenance. Don’t let your day go to waste! Try these five fun ideas.
1. Upload your pictures from your phone to the computer and then to the Cloud or your other back-up. Go one step further and organize them by year.
2. Write in your personal journal about all the latest happenings in the family. I have kept a personal journal since I was 8 years old. I believe I am on journal number 17. I have NOT been as good at my journal writing since the kids have gotten older. I am lucky to write once a month. Since time passes so quickly and I don’t write daily like I used to, I have started using a new format for journal writing. I use an outline format. It may not be as detailed or “interesting” but it will work for key events and at least jog my memory someday.
3. Clean up your pedigree chart on your personal computer software. I use RootsMagic, a favorite here at Genealogy Gems! It is a good idea to go back over your genealogy database from time to time. I like to check for duplicates, standardize my places, and print out a report or two.
4. Catch up on reading your favorite blogs, magazines, newsletters, or enjoying some of our great Genealogy Gems Podcasts.
5. Clean the desk and file away notes. I love to make notes. They are everywhere. On occasion, it is necessary to go through the notes and either file in drawer 13 (the trash can) or file in the appropriate hanging folder. When the note is important to the family tree, I not only file it, but I add the information to my family history database with a source citation. If you are using Evernote, add your notes and such to the program for easy accessibility and use.
Before you know it, FamilySearch will be up and running again. In the meantime, you won’t feel like it was a wasted genealogy day!